About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Monday, August 27, 2012

Sweet Tooth Sunday-Turtle Cupcakes

I haven't posted a Sweet Tooth Sunday in so long. Between our move to our new apartment, being busy with work and utterly exhausted, and having a broken computer, it's been impossible! But I did make some sweet things over the past few weeks...one of them being Landon's birthday cupcakes! I saw these great turtle cupcakes on Pinterest and I had to make them. We did a little "Under the Sea" theme for his birthday and had some really awesome balloons for him...but it was the cupcakes that were a hit!



Turtle Blueberry Cupcakes with Lemon Icing
1 pint of blueberries
1 box of yellow cake mix (and ingredients for mix)
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 c. cream cheese
2 tbsp. butter at room temperature
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
blue sugar
Spearmint leaves candy
Peach Rings
Gum drops (green and orange)
Mini chocolate chips

Make the cupcakes according to the recipe on the box, adding in blueberries to the mix. Cool.

To make the icing, combine the lemon zest, cream cheese, butter and vanilla with a stand or hand mixer. Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until its light and fluffy.

Once the cupcakes have cooled, spread the icing on top. Sprinkle the blue sugar on top of the icing to look like water.

For the turtles, cut the spearmint leaves in half, or in quarters if you are running low. Place those on the cupcakes as the legs and fins. Take an orange gumdrop and squish it into the hole of the peach ring. Place those on top of the fins.

Take the green gumdrops and cut out a deep hole for the eyes. Stick chocolate chips in the holes. Position the heads in front of the bodies.

Sing "Happy Birthday", eat and enjoy!




1 comment: