About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Monday, February 18, 2013

Savory Sunday-Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup

Since Bartek and I have given up sweets for Lent, I decided to transform Sweet Tooth Sunday into Savory Sunday. For the next six weeks, I'll be sharing yummy recipes for appetizers and entrees that I love. Today I decided to go with this recipe for Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup I tried a few weeks ago. It's a quick and simple soup that has so many delicious flavors melding together. 


Creamy Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients:
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. white or cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 c. celery, chopped
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 medium shallot, chopped
1/4 c. flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 c. white wine
1 tsp . thyme, dried
4 c. veggie broth
1 c. instant or cooked wild rice
3/4 c. reduced-fat sour cream
2 tbsp. fresh parsley

Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots, and shallots and cook for about 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until the veggies are softened.

Stir in flour, salt, pepper and cook for another 2 minutes, constantly stirring.  Add white wine and thyme. Increase heat to medium-high and cook for another 2 minutes.

Add broth to the pot and bring to a boil. If you are using instant rice, now is the the time to add it. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 5-7 minutes. If you are using precooked rice instead, add it at the very end. Then add in sour cream and parsley.

Serve in a warm bowl on a cold, blustery day!

No comments:

Post a Comment