About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Movie Review-Les Miserables

I am so lucky to work in an industry that basically shuts down between Christmas and New Years. Every year since I've started working, I've had that week off and its such a welcome bonus! So over the break, I put Landon in daycare and went to go see Les Mis! 

IMDB.com
Never having seen the play or read the book, I was going into it pretty clueless. I'm not going to go over the whole plot because there is just way too much going on and I think that is maybe the problem with the movie (and probably the play too).  There is too much plot crammed into a small space of time. And by small space of time, it's two and a half hours long! The novel by Victor Hugo is over 1200 pages. This book is just too epic to be made into one single movie. It spans a couple of decades and at times, the pacing seems rushed. Maybe it was the lack of transitions between different years that made it difficult to watch.

Getting into the acting, I have to admit, Anne Hathaway annoys the heck out of me. Judging by all of the media she did leading up to the movie's release, she seems so snobby and pompous! Her singing is great but I just can't stand to watch her on the screen. She really rubbed me the wrong way. My favorite character was Sacha Baron Cohen's. He added so much humor and enjoyment to a very depressing movie. It was definitely needed at times. Also, Gavroche, the little boy in the uprising, was so spunky. I loved him! Hugh Jackman was ok but oh my gosh, did they make him look ugly! Another thing that irked me was that there were very few spoken lines. Everything was sung! Again, never having seen the play, it just bugged me. 

For all the criticisms I have of the movie, the ending really did hit me and I lost it. I don't think there was a dry eye in the theater. If I were to give it a star rating, I would say 3 out of 5 stars. I'm hoping to get out to the movies before the Oscars to see Lincoln, Silver Linings Playbook and maybe Zero Dark Thirty. Seeing all the nominees that came out last week make me want to hit up the theater!

Happy Awards season!

No comments:

Post a Comment