About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Wanderlust Wednesday-Elysian Cafe

On Saturday night, before we headed off to see Glengarry Glen Ross on Broadway, Bartek and I wanted to take advantage of our baby-free night and grab a delicious dinner. We went over to Elysian Cafe and miraculously they had a free table for us. Just like seating at many restaurants in the city are like, we were seated only inches from another table which turned out to be hilarious! It was a couple on a first date and the guy was a total tool...talking about growing up poor and now he's rich. He has a house in Spain (yeah, right!). He asked the girl what nationalities she likes in guys but refused to tell her what he was. Apparently Bartek saw him give her a wad of cash, rolled up with a rubber band and asked her to hold on to it for him (WHAT?!). It was cringe-worthy, but very entertaining at the same time. 

Anyway, back to the food! So I ordered a beer cocktail. I've never had one before, but it was awesome!  It was a Raspberry Gaarden--Hoegaarden and Raspberry liquor! I want that to be my signature drink. Yum!

For my entree, I ordered pan roasted salmon with a potato leek cake on a bed of spinach. The salmon was nice and crunchy on the outside. It was incredibly delicious, but just a tad too salty. The highlight of the dish was the spinach. It was cooked and dressed with an apple bacon vinaigrette. It was to die for! If I could make that vinaigrette, Bartek would each spinach every day!


Bartek ordered the crispy pork cutlet with sour cream and herb mashed potatoes with an arugula salad. Again, the star of the dish was the green. He loved the arugula, the bitterness of it was cut by the roasted tomato vinaigrette. The pork chop was good, but needed some salt and pepper.


Overall, we had a great meal! The restaurant has romantic lighting, which is great for date night. But it's also, surprisingly family-friendly. Lots of parents were there with kids, but it wasn't unpleasant at all. It has a cute little outdoor cafe area for warmer months. It's right on Washington Street, which is great for people-watching, but the trees and plants in the cafe area make it seem a little secluded from the hustle and bustle of the main road.

Elysian Cafe is located at 1001 Washington Street in Hoboken, NJ.
http://www.elysiancafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment