About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sweet Tooth Sunday-Lemon Bars

This Sunday is sad for me because it marks the end of our stay-cation. It was full of ups and downs, but it was still time off from work and spent with my husband, son and pup. Bartek and I needed something to cheer us up on this bittersweet day, so we decided to treat ourselves with something summery and delightful. I found this recipe for Creamy Lemon Bars and it seemed right up our alley.

Creamy Lemon Bars  
Ingredients:
20 Nilla Wafers (finely crushed)
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. flour (divided)
1/4 c. brown sugar (firmly packed)
1/4 c. butter (or 1/2 stick, very cold)
1 c. sugar
2 eggs (at room temperature)
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tbsp. grated lemon zest
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
powdered sugar


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-inch baking pan with foil, overlapping the edges over the pan. Spray lightly with Pan and set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine Nilla wafers, 1/2 c. of flour and brown sugar.


Chop butter into the mixture (or as the blogger describes, use a cheese grater and grate the butter in). Using your fingers, or a pastry blender, combine the butter until it forms coarse crumbs. 


Press the crumbs into the bottom of the dish. Bake for 15 minutes.

While the crust is baking, make the filling. In a stand mixer or using an electric mixer, combine cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until blended. Add the eggs, 2 tbsp. of flour and baking powder. Then, blend in the zest and juice. Pour the mixture over the baked crumb crust.


Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center has set. Let cool for a bit and then transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least another 2 hours. 

Once it has cooled, lift the bars out of the pan using the foil. Cut into squares. When ready to serve, sprinkle with powdered sugar and some more zest if you wish. Keep leftovers refrigerated. 



No comments:

Post a Comment