About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Monday, April 16, 2012

Back to Work Guide for Working Moms

One of the biggest decisions you make as a mother is whether or not you'll go back to work after the baby is born. It is a hard thing to decide and sometimes you don't even have a choice.

I have many reasons for going back, although I question them everyday usually around 3 PM which is when I miss my boy like crazy. I think about him so much during the day that sometimes it's hard to focus but I try to tell myself that it's the best for the both of us.

Here's how you can make this time easier on you and your child...


Give yourself time to transition-Bringing your child to daycare, or whatever kind of care you use, is an incredibly emotional event. The first day I dropped Landon off at daycare, I was so strong and carefree during the 15-minute walk from our apartment. The minute I stepped in the door, I lost it. I couldn't stop crying and could barely choke out the words "It's Landon's first day here." The only thing that made it better was that I didn't go to work that day. I gave myself a day to let it sink in and I'm so glad I did. I was a blubbering mess the entire day. It would have been so embarrassing to go through that at work. Definitely allow yourself a day or two between starting day care and starting work. Pamper yourself if you can because you rarely get a moment to yourself.

Don't use a daycare with a online video monitoring system-as tempting as this is, don't do it. If your daycare offers it, don't use it. It will only distract you all day or make you miss your child even more as you watch him. It will make you feel guilty that you aren't there to feed your child or put them down for a nap.

Keep lots of pictures around your workspace-I know I said not to stare at your child all day online, but this is different. Keeping the cutest pictures of your child all around you is essential for your sanity. I have pictures up on my bulletin board, on the door to my office, in my desk drawer and as the background on my computer. It's also important to rotate new photos in. I have a photo calendar of all-things-Landon. Each time I flip the calendar for a new month, I get a whole new set of photos of my boy. Just catching a glimpse of them when you are having a rough time will make you smile.

Realize that daycare is healthy (physically and socially)-Yes, children in daycare get colds all of the time. But the up-side is that colds make immune systems stronger. Another bonus is that your child gets to socialize with other babies. I don't have many friends with babies (although that's rapidly changing!), so this is a chance for Landon to hang out and interact with other babies. He can make friends on his own. When I left him this morning, he was passing a toy back and forth with one of his classmates. Best friends in the making!

Cherish pick up time- It's strange, but I still get so giddy picking my little man up. I'm smiling on my way there, knowing that as soon as he sees me, he'll smile wide and hold out his "pick me up" arms. That is one of the best feelings. Knowing how much you mean to your little one.

And my last tip, Make a schedule and try to keep it, but realize you need to be flexible- we now have our weekdays down to a routine. I always wake up at 6:45, shower, blow dry, and then wake Landon up at 7:30, feed him, dress him and then head out. If you are going to make this "Working Mom" thing work, you have to keep a schedule just to stay sane. However, at least one day a week, Landon will randomly wake up early. Adapting is important. So is coffee! Always have it around.

1 comment: