About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Guest Blog: I am a man and I really liked the Hunger Games

Hello faithful readers,

It's been too long since I hijacked Chrissi's blog for my own selfish purposes but I've found a topic that I want to write about so here goes.  About 2 weeks ago as we were planning out our Easter weekend, we decided that we should take advantage of the fact that we would be surrounded by parents 24/7 for three straight days so we planned a movie day.  We didn't exactly come to the choice of movie in a Democratic way...Chrissi immediately declared: "We're going to see "The Hunger Games".  Now my friends, I don't rollover too easily when it comes to the whims of my wife but I'm also a pragmatist and I knew I had no chance of convincing her to see for example "The Raid-Redemption" so I caved and I agreed to go see it.  Now for 2 weeks I gave her grief that she would definitely owe me one because we were going to see a chick flick.  My suspicions were somewhat reinforced when some of my friends at work shared their opinions of the movie (after similarly being dragged by wives or girlfriends) and the best reviews they gave the movie was in the tepid "meh" range.

So on Friday the big day arrived and we went to go see the movie.  I wasn't exactly psyched when I found out it was going to be 2.5 hrs long, but I promised Chrissi I would get through it.  Well ladies and gents, I got through those 2.5 hours and after I came out, I wanted 2.5 hours more!  The movie was not a chick flick at all  Granted, was the average demographic of the movie theater the 15 year old Justin Bieber loving girl? Yes.  Did my wifey swoon every time they showed Katniss' love interest back in good ole District 12?  Yes.  But that did not stop me from liking the movie.   There were in fact lots of redeeming qualities for those of us who were blessed to be born with a Y chromosome.  The movie undoubtedly features a decent amount of action.  The plot is fast-paced and intricate, and the acting was spot on, especially from the heroine, Ms. Katniss, who I was expecting to be John Rambo.  Instead she was calculating, cunning, strong, but also vulnerable.  She won the game despite all odds being sacked against her and in so doing humiliated the leadership who was opressing her and her fellow District 12'ers..

So go ahead...judge me, mock me, or agree with me.  But I will unfailingly defend my position on this till the bitter end.  The Hunger Games was a great flick and I will now, whenever I get the chance look to read the Trilogy before the next one comes out.

Peace out readers, and may the odds be ever in your favor!

No comments:

Post a Comment