About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Sweet Tooth Sunday-Strawberry and Blueberry Hand Pies

It was an incredibly busy weekend for us! We looked at some apartments yesterday and had a river-side picnic. Then today we had a big family picnic at a park. And somewhere in between all of this, I had time to do two Sweet Tooth Sundays! I had to do something special for Mother's Day, but the exhaustion is starting to hit me now! I'll post the second one tomorrow.

The first treat I made were hand pies. We all remember Drakes Fruit Pies, right? I feel like I was always begging my parents for these when we would go food shopping. Well, today I made a healthier version of them. Or what I would like to think is a healthier version. This is based on the recipe I found here.



Strawberry and Blueberry Hand Pies
makes 6-10 pies, depending on the size of your cookie cutter

Filling:
16 oz strawberries
6 oz blueberries
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. water
(you will probably have a lot left over filling, but you can save this for having with ice cream. Yum!)

Crust:
2 pre-made rolled pie crusts
2-3 strawberries, sliced

Glaze:
1 c. confectioner's sugar
water (as needed)

Dice up strawberries and halve blueberries. Over medium-high heat, cook berries, sugar, and water until it resembles a "berry stew". Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight.

Yummm berry stew!
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out one pie crust on a flat surface. Use the cookie cutter to cut out as many pieces as you can. Place pieces on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place 1 tbsp of filling in the center of each piece.


Roll out the second pie crust and cut out the same number of pieces you did with the first one. Slightly moisten the edge of the pieces and place on top of first piece with filling. Use a fork along the edge to seal it.  Cut a small hole in the middle of each pie. Place a slice of strawberry on top of the hole.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust starts to brown.

While it is cooling, whisk together confectioner's sugar and water until it forms a thin glaze. Brush this over the top of each pie.


No comments:

Post a Comment