About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sweet Tooth Sunday-Toasted Coconut Rice Custard

I almost didn't have it in me to do Sweet Tooth Sunday today. I was horribly sick this morning, after catching a stomach bug that Landon had Friday and Saturday. I spent the first half of the day in bed, thanks to my darling hubby who watched Landon all morning. It took a lot for me to go out food shopping, but I did it and I think the fresh air did some good. 

I was thinking about doing a rice pudding, but then I came across this recipe for Coconut Rice Custard and it was the coconut that sold me. Yum! 



Toasted Coconut Rice Custard
1-13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. plus 2/3 c. sugar
1 c. long grain white rice
3 c. half-and-half
5 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. coconut flakes


Heat oven to 325 degrees.

In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, water and 1/4 c. of sugar and bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the liquid gets absorbed, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, warm the half-and-half in a separate saucepan, but do not boil.

Whisk together eggs, 2/3 c. sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl. Stirring constantly, add the half-and-half to the egg mixture. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Then stir in the rice.

Transfer to a 9.5-inch baking dish. Place the dish inside a larger roasting pan. Add hot water to the pan so that it comes half-way up the side of the baking dish. Bake until the custard is set, about one hour.

Before serving, toast coconut flakes lightly in a pan until they turn slightly brown. Add them to the top of the custard. Serve warm or chilled.



It's very rich and creamy! Delicious!

Check out last week's Sweet Tooth Sunday:
Lemon Cookies with Citrus Filling

No comments:

Post a Comment