About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tips for Hiking with Baby

This past Saturday was our big hike...the one I've been nervous about for months. Not only was I worried about the physical strain of the hike, but also how Landon would handle 5 hours in a carrier. He was fussy at points, but overall we had a great time. I can't say that I loved the way my legs were feeling afterwards though. I am still sore today... five days later! This hike was probably the most physically challenging thing I've done in two years and my poor body paid the toll. That being said, I can't wait for our next Adirondacks hike next year!




Here are my tips for hiking with a baby:
1. Make sure you have a good carrier with excellent back support. I use the Ergo Baby Carrier.
Ergobaby.com
It has a big waist band that allows the weight of the baby to distribute over your hips, taking the pressure off of your back.

2. Hike with a partner. I definitely recommend hiking with another person. Someone else needs to carry the rest of your gear and you'll need them to switch off carrying the baby.

3. Make sure you have great hiking shoes. There's nothing more important when you're hiking than to have great footwear. Most of the time, regular sneakers won't do. Make sure you have something that protects your ankles from rolling.

4. Bring lots of water. If you can, bring a Camelback so you can take sips of water while you walk. If not, bring as many bottles of water as you can carry. Make sure you leave water for baby too, since you are not the only one getting thirsty.

5. Pack plenty of supplies. Bring food for baby, whether it be breast milk, formula or finger foods. Besides formula, we brought Gerber Graduates Puffs in a Ziploc bag.
Diapers.com
They are simple to pack and Landon loves snacking on them. Besides food, make sure you bring and apply sunblock, bug spray and a hat.

6. Dress the baby in layers. Depending on where you are hiking, the air is usually much cooler when you reach the top of the mountain. If you leave in the morning when it's cool, dress the baby in a long sleeve shirt and pants as well as a warm sweater. Once it's time to come back down from the mountain, it will be warm enough to lose the sweater.

7. Leave for your hike around baby's nap time. Sleeping babies are happy babies. As much as your baby might love looking at the sights and sounds of nature, they tend to get cranky when they are cooped up in the carrier. If you leave around nap time, the baby is sure to fall asleep right away while nestling against you. 

8. Walk softly and carry a big stick...for real. I realized I needed to take my time. I had to plan my steps carefully so I wouldn't trip or put too much strain on one leg. Carrying a hiking stick also helps to keep your balance.

Hopefully these tips will help you plan your next hike with baby. Happy Hiking Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment