About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Monday, September 17, 2012

Sweet Tooth Sunday-Dutch Apple Pie

Today was our yearly Applefest tradition where we go apple picking, drink tons of wine and hard cider, and eat lots of apple-y things. I'll post pictures tomorrow in my weekly recap, but I wanted to share Bartek's birthday pie that I made for him and for Applefest!




It's based on this recipe.

Dutch Apple Pie

Ingredients
2 c. flour
1 c. brown sugar (packed)
1/2 c. quick cooking oats
3/4 c. butter, melted (1 1/2 sticks)
2/3 c. granulated sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/4 c. cold water
3 or 4 medium apples, peeled and diced (I used granny smith)
1 tsp. cinnamon sugar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and melted butter. Mix until combined and set aside 1 cup of it for the topping. Press the flour/oat mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9 inch pie plate. Set aside.



In a saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and cold water over medium-high heat. Let it boil for a few minutes. It will thicken to a glue-like paste.


Remove the sugar mixture from heat and stir in apples, cinnamon sugar, ginger and vanilla.

Pour the apple mixture into the crust. Crumble the topping over the pie. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust turns slightly brown. Allow it to cool for a bit before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment