About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Wanderlust Wednesday- Choc O Pain Bakery

Hoboken is a funny place. It's only "One Square Mile" (supposedly), but still it can seem like you never venture to certain parts of the city. For four years, we got to know uptown Hoboken very well and the past few months, we've learned more about midtown. But downtown has been a bit neglected since we've settled down into married life and parenthood. However, now that we know Choc O Pain is there, we may venture that way more often.

We found it on our way back from the PATH after a Yankees game. At the time, we just walked by it. But a few days later, we took a long walk down and indulged!



We got a plain croissant for Landon, two chocolate croissants for ourselves and a big berry crumble to bring our friends. The croissants were simply...amazing! They were buttery and flaky. Everything you could ever want in a croissant. The berry crumble was rustic, beautiful and incredibly delicious.

So, I think it says something if you visit a bakery twice in less than a week. Our first visit was on Monday and I stopped there again today on my way home from work. I wanted a little sweet to have after dinner. I picked up a tarte aux pommes and a fresh berry tart.




What I loved about both of these treats is that they weren't overly sweet. The sweetness came from the natural sugars of the apples and the berries. The tartes were a refreshing topper to a heavy dinner. The cafe itself reminded me of the beautiful cafes we visited in Paris during our Eurotrip in 2006. Our favorite dessert from the trip was a raspberry tartlet, similar to the ones I tried today. I think it's always a good sign when an experience takes you back to a favorite memory from the past.

All in all, I'm definitely a fan of Choc O Pain. I can't wait to go back for some fresh baguettes.

Choc O Pain Bakery and Cafe
157 First Street
Hoboken, NJ
Here is their website.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Chrissi for a very nice review of our Bakery! We are thrilled you enjoyed your experiences with us! :))
    See you soon!
    Clemence Danko, owner of Choc O Pain Bakery

    ReplyDelete