About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Becoming a Cheese Monger, Part 1-The Americans

Tonight was actually my second time going to a cheese tasting. The first time was pre-blog and was Italian cheeses. My favorite that night was La Tur (yummmm-a creamy, bloomy, sheep-cow-goat mix).  The Hoboken Cheese Store does these tastings once a month, so hopefully I'll be able to attend all of them and finally become my dream in life: a cheese monger!

Tonight, we learned about American Cheeses. Surprisingly, we didn't taste any cheddar. Apparently, there are fancy cheeses made in America, not just in France!

My fellow cheese monger wannabes, April and Kayla

Our challenge for the night

I think my favorite was a tie between the Noble Road (below) and the Prairie Breeze.
The Noble Road is a soft ripened bloomy rind. It's soft on the inside. Kayla said it tasted like it was "straight from the cow". It comes from Calkins Creamery in Honedale, PA.

This one is the Prairie Breeze. It was the most cheddar-like of all the cheeses we tried. Almost like a mix between cheddar and Parmigiano. This one is made from the milk from Amish farms near the creamery in Milton, Iowa.

 And here is, by far, the worst cheese of the night, as evidenced by Kayla's face below haha..



I definitely do not recommend Bayley Hazen cheese. So nasty!

Anyway, it was such a fun night overall. It's always nice to try new things with friends and, of course, drink wine!

Stayed tuned for my next cheese monger post at the end of February! If you are interested in becoming a cheese monger, you can always go to the Hoboken Cheese store, they are so sweet there and really know their stuff! There's also Murray's in the city which has a few classes each week.

1 comment:

  1. Great photos but I cant believe you didnt love Bayley Hazen Blue! It's so mellow and creamy and delicious. Oh well, more for the rest of us :) Love your image of Nobel Road. NIce blog

    ReplyDelete