About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sweet Tooth Sundays-Rainbow Cake

We took a little baking hiatus last week since Landon was so sick. But we are back with another tasty treat this weekend. Behold my latest undertaking, the rainbow cake:

Photo from LoveandOliveOil.com

It was first conceived by Martha Stewart here. This blog tried it too and they have beautiful pictures. 

So here is my outcome:



I went the "semi-homemade" route, a la Sandra Lee because I was incredibly lazy. I used two boxed butter yellow cake mixes from Betty Crocker. I made the cake batter as per the instructions on the box. Then I separated (as evenly as I could) the batter into 6 bowls and added tons of food coloring to make purple, blue, green, yellow orange and red. 


Since the cakes you are making are much smaller than usual, the cook time is much less. I checked the cakes after 10 minutes. After that, they each needed an additional 5-10 minutes of cook time, until a toothpick inserted in the middle came out clean. 

Since I only have 2-9 inch round pans, I had to go through three rounds of baking the cakes. No biggie! Between each round of baking, I let the cakes cool in the pans for 5-10 minutes, then transferred them to a cooling rack for another 5 minutes and started icing them while the others were baking. 

Again, going the semi-homemade route, I used store-bought chocolate icing, warmed it up a little in the microwave to make it more spreadable, and then used an icing knife (greatest thing ever) to spread the icing between the layers. 

The white icing does make the cake look so much prettier, but I know my family loves chocolate, so we had to change it up. I tried to do a stucco pattern on the sides to make it a little interesting. After icing it up, I added some M&Ms around the top for some whimsy and color. And added a "Happy Birthday Grandma and Grandpa" in terrible, terrible writing. Need to work on that. 


After working on my cake, I realized how much it reminded me of the last time we had a colorful cake. When we found out we were having a beautiful, bouncing baby boy...



2 comments: