About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Terrible-Mom Moments

The phone rings. Pick up! Pick up! PICK UP! "Hey Hon" he says. "I'm a terrible mom", I whine back, forgoing any traditional greetings. "What'd you do now?"

With a screaming baby, a wayward dog pulling me straight towards a bush and a cell phone crammed between my ear and shoulder, I look like a person whose got too much on their plate. AKA, I look like a terrible mom.

I did the thing parents dread. I accidentally hurt my baby. I was bundling the poor little guy up for our evening walk with the dog. Trying to be a good parent and get him nice and warm. But instead, I caught his finger in the zipper of his BundleMe. There was that split second where I thought, wait a sec, maybe I didn't get him. But then came the whimper, the curl of the bottom lip, and then the full-out wail.



I scooped little Landon up in my arms and rocked him. I walked around with him. I kissed his boo-boo. I put his cold teether on his hand. But nothing worked. So I decided to continue with the night's plan and go for a walk. About 10 minutes, and lots of death-stares from ferry commuters later, my little man had finally cried himself out.

Just the start to a lovely evening tonight.

There are times when you just feel like the most awful mom in the world. I call them "Terrible Mom Moments". Besides tonight, here are a few of mine:

  • the time I pinched Landon's finger in the car seat harness (why do babies' fingers end up in the worst spots???)
  • the time I forgot to pack a warm hat for apple picking on a cold and windy day
  • or when I forgot to bring socks for when he changed out of his footie PJs into real clothes at my in-law's house
  • the time I squirted him right in the eye with a squirty toy at bath time (Oops!!)
Even though there are so many things I can pick out that I do wrong or have done wrong so far in raising him, it really doesn't matter. Landon's not going to remember any of this. 

Babies cry. Children get boo-boos. Sometimes, you just need to take a breath, relax and take a walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment