About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A haircut that costs more in time than in money

I went to the Aveda Institute (233 Spring St, between Varick and 6th) today for a hair cut during my lunch break. It's literally 5 minutes from my office, which is great to know! I haven't gotten my hair trimmed since May! Ooops! Way before Landon was born. That's like 8 months! And good Lord, my hair needed some TLC.

It was my first time at the Aveda Institute, so I didn't really know what to expect. Basically, the deal is that its you get services for a significant discount but the catch is that you're trusting your precious hair to the shaky hands of nervous students. They follow a step-by-step routine, which is actually written out on a checklist for them:

  • They greet you, shake your hand and introduce themselves (seriously?? this is written on a checklist?? Isn't that just common sense?)
  • Then there's the consultation phase where they ask you what you want done. 
  • Right afterwards, their teachers come and double check that's what you want (making sure the students don't eff up!)
  • And then they give you a glorious scalp massage with a delicious-smelling oil (best thing ever!)
  • You get the typical shampoo/condition, but the product they use is Rosemary Mint. I had to buy some for myself. It smells so good!



  • Then comes the student stuff. Whoaaa, it took a long time! It took my coiffeur about 10 minutes just to brush my hair out. And snip, snip. Bye, bye hair!
All told, after the wash, cut, blowdry, and a little survey, I was so glad I was finally done! Definitely know better now that I will not do it on a lunch break. My student, Suezann, said that the day before, a woman was there for 6 hours, getting her hair lightened from black to blonde. Wow!

Suezann had also asked me how far in advance I booked my service. I had just done it on Tuesday and when I called, they asked if I wanted to come in on Wednesday. She had told me that people book at least a month in advance. I don't believe that for one second! They do walk-ins!

So, I'll definitely go back. My hair cut cost $20! How can you beat that, especially getting treatments with the luscious Aveda products!? They also offer 60 minute facials for $40. Such a great deal!

Here is the Aveda Institute's Menu of services. Hope you get to enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment