About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hindsight is 20/20

...."they say". And it's true! If I had known how little I would use things (or in some cases, not at all!) I wouldn't have bought them in the first place. Here is my list of maternity and post-partum things that I bought, but had no use for. Hopefully this will help mamas-to-be.

Prenatal Yoga DVD-I had full intention of staying fit while I was pregnant, so I bought a prenatal yoga DVD for all of the extra time I had. Oh wait, there was no free time! You would think that you have so much time, especially when you are anticipating never having free time when baby comes. But the truth is, you spend so much time thinking about the baby, preparing for the baby and resting from carrying the baby that you have so little time to do much else.

Maternity Belt-this was recommended to me by my doctor when I told her how much back pain I was having. She said that putting this on would support the weight of my bump and take the pressure off my back. Not so much... You need to realize when you are preggers that your body is changing and weight is shifting. Something that hurts now probably won't hurt so much in a week. Also, I have to say, it looks really dumb and is too bulky for wearing under clothes.

Maternity Clothes-Maternity clothes are great as long as you don't go overboard. Select pieces that you can use over and over again. I bought so many clothes that I think I filled 2 big storage boxes with them. And half of them I didn't even wear! The problem with maternity clothes is that it's much easier to find clothes online but you can't try them on. Returning them is a hassle. Anyway, I recommend going to stores like Kohl's and Motherhood Maternity.


Snoogle-I LOVED my Snoogle. It's a body pillow especially for preggos. It hooks around the back of your body and wedges between your legs. When you are pregnant you are only supposed to sleep your right side. Or maybe it's your left. Whatever it is, the Snoogle makes it much easier to sleep. But since this is a post about things you shouldn't get when your pregnant, let me clarify. The Snoogle is great, but once you are done with it, it's impossible to store! It's huge and you don't really want to keep it on your bed anymore because it's hideous!
Belly Bandit-The one thing a lot of pregnant women think of once the baby is born is how they are going to lose all of that baby weight. The Belly Bandit makes lofty promises that you'll drop a couple sizes if you wear this contraption all day, every day after you give birth. I tried it, but it's hard to remember to put the thing on. You are so busy with your new baby and the continuing things going on with your body, that this is the last thing on your mind. Not to mention, it's uncomfortable to wear, especially if you are nursing since it forces you to sit straight up. It's also incredibly expensive. Definitely not worth it.


Stretch Mark Cream-another product promising great results, but not really delivering. Stretch creams say that daily applications make the stretch marks fade and eventually disappear. But no, it doesn't work. You just have to give it time. They eventually fade.

Hope this list has been helpful. Don't make the same mistakes I did and save your money! Stay tuned for a list of baby things you don't really need.

4 comments:

  1. totally agree. i think there are a ton of things the baby doesn't need too! can't wait to see that list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How far along were you when you started using the Snoogle? Is it really worth $70? I normally sleep on my stomach but have been making myself try to sleep on my side more often - in 2 weeks I won't be able to sleep on my tummy at all anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I am so happy for you and Bob! Sorry the boys have been bugging you so much! But I am so excited for little Baby Wallden!

      I'm sure your belly will pop really early and start to get in the way. I think I started using the Snoogle maybe around the 4-month mark, when I was getting some back pain and was generally a little uncomfortable. The great thing about it is that it wraps around your body. The bad thing is that it is basically like another person sleeping in the bed. It takes up so much space!

      You can borrow mine if you just want to test it out. $70 is a lot, but I think I'll be keeping it for future pregnancies. You can also use it once the baby comes for breast feeding and propping the baby up. There's a diagram on the back of the packaging that shows all of the uses.

      I think it's worth the money if you plan on using it again in the future.

      Delete
  3. Thanks! We are super excited. :) I know it came as a shock to pretty much nobody, haha. I actually found a few things that are similar to the Snoogle for around $40-50. I may investigate those! But yeah, I think the biggest concern is where to store the darn thing.

    ReplyDelete