About Me

My photo
Hi! My name is Chrissi. I live in Hoboken, home of the "Cake Boss" and the birthplace of baseball and Frank Sinatra. With my husband, infant son and extraordinary super-dog we are set to take over the world... of mommy blogging (Well, at least I'm trying...they are tagging along!) I love to bake and I share Sweet recipes I try every Sunday. I post every night (or at least I try to post every night!) around midnight. The only time, as a new mother, that I have to myself.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

How'd You Fatten up on Fat Tuesday?

While I don't see myself going to New Orleans for Mardi Gras in the near future, I still had to take advantage of the last day before lent. We had so many sweets in our apartment from the past weekend. It's so sad to throw them out, especially when you are fat asses like us. But you gotta do what you gotta do. We can't have these things staring us in the face till Easter.

Today, my last sweet before Lent was a bite from each of these Crumbs cupcakes that our friends Kayla and Lee brought over on Monday. Yummm!


In Poland, instead of Fat Tuesday, they celebrate Tłusty czwartek, Fat Thursday, the Thursday before Ash Wednesday. They use up all the ingredients they have in the house before Lent and make Pączki which are like jelly donuts, but filled with ingredients like rose, custard, raspberry, or plum instead.

http://www.thekitchn.com/like-jelly-doughnuts-but-bette-138638


You can easily find panczki around this time of year in your local supermarket, but as I've heard from Bartek, they are nothing like the real thing!

We all have our own traditions for Lent and Easter. You always give up something you love as a form of penitence. And it's always fun (at least I think it is!) to compare what other people are giving up for Lent. This year, Bartek and I are giving up all sweets (what's new?!), except for whatever I make for Sweet Tooth Sundays and only on that Sunday (no Monday left-over nibbling). Until two years ago when I became Catholic, I had done fasting for Lent in solidarity with Bartek. It was fun to challenge myself then. And now, as a Catholic, I find the deeper meaning in the fast. 

What are you giving up for Lent? Or, if you don't observe the fast, what is something that would be hard for you to give up for forty days?

No comments:

Post a Comment